Sunday, June 19, 2011

Math Rock >> Slap Bass

So I was a huge Primus fan in my high school days. I owned all their albums, knew the lyrics to all their songs, saw 4 or 5 shows of theirs, learned the bass parts to most of their songs, etc. No, I'm not embarrassed. Okay, maybe a little bit embarrassed. Shut up. My fanaticism trailed off in the later 90s when nu-metal came about and they were singing the praises of Limp Bizkit and other monstrosities on their website. During the height of my fanaticism I bought a cd by Porch, the band started by the original guitarist for Primus, Todd Huth. Expecting some kind of funk-metal hybrid, it was a shock to find out that it was a math rock band. Not that I knew what math rock was in 1994, but anyway I thought, damn, this is way better than Primus.  Well, I recently did a google search and found out that, some 17-odd years later, Porch has a new album out. And it's pretty damn good. Apparently Primus has a new album coming out soon as well, but I really don't give a crap.

No comments: