Monday, August 29, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Days 12, 13, & 14

Busy weekend including a visit to the in-laws means I skipped a few days, and will make up for it now in one post.

Day 12 - a song from a band you hate

I decided I would not go for the easy target of the office intercom bands, no matter how much I hate them. Instead:


Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

Christ, I fucking hate Fleetwood Mac. Can't fucking stand them. I did not enjoy them showing up on oldies or classic rock radio when I was growing up, and their stupid fucking balding ponytail poofy-sleeved shirt and vest reunion tour in the late 90s I certainly did not abide. Friends I trust have told me that this was a great song and I should hold back my hatred of this band until I gave this a chance. I sat through three or four noodly-doodly bullshit live performance videos of this before I could find the album version, and surprisingly it is not terrible. I would go as far as to say that it is very good. That does not forgive anything else they have done. "Landslide" was a crime against humanity. Mussolini made the trains run on time, but that does not forgive Fascism. Yes, I just Godwined my own blog. Shut up.  

Day 13 - a song that is a guilty pleasure

Oh, and what a guilty pleasure:


4 Non-Blondes - What's Up

Good lord, this song is so bad it is just awesome. White chick with dreadlocks and a nose-ring, top-hat adorned with motorcycle goggles, combat boots, flannel every-fucking-where, acoustic loud-quiet-loud ballad that kicks out the sweetened up distortion during the vapidly uplifting chorus and meaningless teen semi-angst vaguely quasi-revolutionary stuff to appeal to the sentiments of the early 90s. I didn't even buy this nonsense when I was 14, but it was played enough that I ended up inadvertently memorizing the lyrics. If you feed me beer and a karaoke machine, I will sing this song before the night is up, I guarantee you that. And you will be moved.


Day 14 - a song that no one would expect you to love


Destiny's Child - Say My Name

It's a damn good song. I love all this late 90s - early 00s jerky-rhythm R&B. This is probably the best song of this style, Aaliyah's "Are You That Somebody" being a close second. I'm not usually a fan of the style of song where the singer tries to hit every single note, but I dig this.

No comments: